Life is a series of decisions. Whether big or small, we are constantly encountering choices. What should I eat for lunch? Can I afford to take this vacation? When do I tell my kids yes and when do I tell them no? Should I accept the job if they offer it to me? What do I say when I’m worried someone is making a big mistake?
As Christians, our instinct should always be to go to God’s Word. The problem – as we see it – is that the Bible doesn’t always speak explicitly to our specific situations. There is no chapter or verse that tells me which college God wants me to attend or which medical specialists I should see. There is no script that tells me precisely how to love someone who is withdrawing from me.
Over and over again, I have found myself counseling my own heart to remember one simple filter: Am I being motivated by faith or by fear?
THE DICHOTOMY BETWEEN FAITH AND FEAR
The gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke all record a story that perfectly illustrates the dichotomy between faith and fear.
Matthew 8:23-25 sets the scene:
As [Jesus] got into the boat, his disciples followed him. Suddenly, a violent storm arose on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves — but Jesus kept sleeping. So the disciples came and woke him up, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to die!”
As Jesus and His disciples were crossing the sea, they were hit by a fierce windstorm (Luke 8:23), significant enough that the boat was being flooded by waves (Mark 4:37). They were in serious danger, and the disciples – some of whom were fishermen by trade – were terrified for their lives.
By contrast, Jesus was asleep. His disciples woke Him up and pleaded with Him to do something.
Jesus didn’t leap into action or share His disciples’ panic. He asked them a question: “Why are you afraid, you of little faith?” (Matthew 8:26). “Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?” (Mark 4:40). “Where is your faith?” (Luke 8:25). Though it’s phrased slightly differently in each account, the sentiment is the same: Jesus connects their fear to a lack of faith.
It strikes me that Jesus says this. The disciples seemed to have some faith; after all, they woke Jesus up and asked Him to save them. They went to the right person in their predicament. But what drove them to Him was anxiety rather than confidence, fear rather than assurance. If the disciples had faith, they still would have woken Jesus up and asked Him to save them, but they would have spared themselves a great deal of emotional turmoil. And perhaps they wouldn’t have been quite as stunned when the winds and seas obeyed His voice and became calm (Matthew 8:26-27).
The circumstances of life can be uncertain, and the choices we’re forced to make can feel daunting. We fret about the decisions before us, fearing that we will choose wrongly and ruin our future, hurt people we love, miss out on God’s will for us, or inadvertently disobey Him.
We may know that God is sovereign and pray that He will guide us, but how often does our relentless emotional turmoil actually reveal a lack of faith? And how often do we let our fear take the driver’s seat and steer our decision-making?
OPERATING UNDER GOD’S SOVEREIGNTY
Our fears can so easily motivate our decisions when it comes to meeting our basic needs. We have bills to pay, and when our ability to cover costs is stretched thin, anxiety can be quick to take over. The enemy uses our fears against us, persuading us that it’s all on our shoulders and that if we don’t make the right choice or jump on the right opportunity, we’ll be doomed. And when fear is in the driver’s seat, we are far more prone to make impulsive or foolish decisions.
However, God is not crossing His fingers and hoping we see all the signs telling us whether we should sell our house, apply for a specific job, or invest in particular stocks. Jesus told His followers to not worry about their lives (Matthew 6:25), but to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness (Matthew 6:33). As we pursue the virtues of God’s kingdom – to love Him and love others (Matthew 22:37-39) – He promises to provide for us.
While it’s true that we are accountable for our actions and have practical responsibilities, we operate under God’s sovereignty. As we order our priorities according to His Word and strive to apply His wisdom to our decisions, we can have faith that the outcomes are in His hands. Obedience and faith might not always lead to choices that make sense from a worldly perspective, but they will never lead us to be reckless or irrational.
GOD’S CHILDREN NEED NOT FEAR
Scripture repeatedly tells us that fear should no longer define the Christian. In Romans 8, Paul reminds us of the amazing truth that we are now God’s children (verse 16) who are led by His Spirit (verse 14). As such, “you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear. Instead, you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry out, ‘Abba, Father!’” (verse 15).
The spirit of slavery and fear are connected with living according to the flesh and to the deeds of the body (Romans 8:12-13). When God saved us, He adopted us as His own children, and we can cry out to Him with the conviction that He stands ready to listen and to help.
When we have decisions to make, the enemy will distract us with fears so that we forget our identity. He tries to persuade us that we are trapped, weighed down by the burden of our decisions, left alone without the strength or resources we need to be successful in life.
As we ponder what to do and feel that the pressure is building and the walls are closing in around us, we need to recognize that this isn’t from God. Our heavenly Father loves us perfectly, and “There is no fear in love; instead, perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment” (1 John 4:18).
God is our Father. He adopted us as His children, and He loves us. This means that restless thoughts and an anxious heart are not indicators of His guidance, but hindrances to them. Our fears about the choices we face indicate that we are not abiding in His love for us. We are either afraid of disappointing Him by making the wrong decision – which is a misunderstanding of His love – or else we have failed to think of Him at all.
THE COURAGE AND CONVICTION OF FAITH
As God’s children, we can “Be alert, stand firm in the faith, be courageous, be strong” (1 Corinthians 16:13). Faith keeps us from getting distracted, feeling uncertain, and growing fearful. As we remember God’s character, we become increasingly prepared for and able to withstand the difficulties and uncertainties of life. When we have a choice to make, our fear is dispelled as we fix our eyes on the One who gives us strength.
Paul’s reminder to Timothy is for us as much as it was for him: “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but one of power, love, and sound judgment” (2 Timothy 1:7). Faith actually increases our capabilities and our capacity to make sensible decisions. It fuels greater devotion to God and deeper concern for others. In the face of our resolve to seek first His kingdom and righteousness, our fears will scatter. We can make decisions with courage, not because we control the results, but because we trust in the One who does.
IDENTIFYING FEARFUL MOTIVES
When I find myself with a decision to make and the correct path isn’t obvious, I try to dig down to the heart of my motives. What makes me torn between the options that lie before me?
I’ll use a practical example. Let’s say that I’m approached about a ministry opportunity at church, and I don’t know whether to say yes or no. I’ll ask myself, “What is the main reason I’m inclined to say yes? And what is the main reason I’m inclined to say no?”
If I’m inclined to say yes because I don’t want to disappoint the person who asked me, I can immediately identify fear. I am striving to please people instead of serving Christ (Galatians 1:10). On the other hand, if I’m inclined to say yes because I think it’s a good way I could uniquely serve the church, I can attribute that to faith; I am considering how to use my gifts to serve others, which God has called me to do (1 Peter 4:10).
If I’m inclined to say no because being in that ministry would be out of my comfort zone, then that’s fear. I’m worried that God can’t use me in my weakness, forgetting that He intentionally chooses the weak to accomplish His purposes (1 Corinthians 1:27). On the other hand, if I’m inclined to say no because my husband is concerned it will take my attention away from my existing responsibilities, then I can make that choice in faith, since God calls me to submit to my husband (Colossians 3:18).
If there isn’t a clear Biblical command that should unequivocally inform my decision, then sifting through what’s in my heart and holding it up against Scripture goes a long way. If my reasoning is driven by emotional turmoil, anxiety, or desperation, then I can’t say that is God’s leading. But if my reasoning is defined by courage, stability, and assurance – not in myself, but in God – then I can trust that I am seeking His kingdom and His righteousness, and He will see my obedience and walk with me on the path I choose, even if the outcome isn’t what I hoped for or expected. That is what faith looks like in decision-making.
As you encounter forks in the road, look to Scripture, pray for wisdom (James 1:5), and look out for where fear is trying to lead you. Then choose the way of faith, trusting God’s Word to inform your convictions and His Spirit to guide you accordingly.
Comments
Post a Comment